- Ultralight material
- Strongest material (Ultra Strong)
- Thermally conductive
- Electrical conductive
- Highest melting point and boiling
- Water Resistant
- Impermeable to molecules
- Excellent elastic properties
- World’s 1st 2-Dimensional (2-D) material
- Extremely lightweight yet highly durable
- Remarkably flexible but also 200 times stronger than conventional steel
- Ultra-thin and excellently transparent
- Excellent electric and heat conducting properties
Apart from the optimum physical properties, the other features are also impressive. It is a single-atom-thick sheet made from combined carbon atoms. The carbon atoms are bonded together to share electron in a hexagonal, honeycomb-like structure. It is a single atom thick layered 2D material ever discovered in the world. It is made up of a hexagonal lattice pattern of carbon atoms in a monolithic honeycomb-like structure. It is a layer of SP2 single bonded carbon atoms arranged like a chicken wire mesh. It is 200 times stronger than stainless steel (SS) and 100 thousand times thinner than the human hair. It is the slimmest and strongest compound available on the earth. Anybody would be amazed when they know that we have found a material which is harder than diamond, yet lightweight, stronger than steel, but also highly flexible, and this material can be mined from the earth as it occurs naturally. It is yet thin enough to be mistaken for a saran wrap.
These are some prominent features which make it a hi-tech material:
Excellent Electronic Conductor
The chief electronic property makes it an efficient Zero-Overlap Semimetal and gives it sufficient electrical conductivity. Carbon atoms possess typically 2 electrons in the inner shell, and 4 electrons in the outer orbit, total 6 electrons.
Although conventionally, the outer 4 electrons in carbon can connect with another atom, each, the atoms can form a 2-dimensional bond with three atoms per single atom. This leaves an electron available for electronic conduction. Such electrons are known as ‘Pi’ electrons and found above and below in sheet.
Ultimate Tensile Strength
The mechanical strength is another prominent property of the material. It considered as being the foremost most robust material ever discovered, owing to the 0.142 Nm-long carbon bonds.
It also possesses ultimate tensile strength, measuring 130 Gigapascals (or 130,000,000,000 Pascals). Compared to the tensile strength of industrial grade (A36) steel, which is around 400,000,000 Pascals or so, it has awe-inspiring strength. Even Kevlar (Aramid), which has a tensile strength measuring around 375,700,000 Pascals, falls short in matching up to concerning tensile strength.
As compared to any other modern material, its exceptionally lightweight. A square-meter of sheet weighs around 0.77 mg, which is about 1,000 times lighter than a sheet of paper of the same size. To give a more precise perspective, a single-atom-thick sheet broad enough to cover a football field would still weigh less than 1 gram.
Optimum Optical Properties
It has the unique ability to absorb around 2.3% of white light. What makes this optical property so impressive is that it is able to do so despite being only an atom-thick. Its excellent electronic properties make it an efficient optical material too. This sheet has dual electrons that act as highly mobile, mass-less carriers of electric charge and enables increased absorption of white light.
- Electric cars and Vehicles
- Photovoltaic cell
- Treating cancer
- Composite and coating
- Smartphones and tablets
- Transport Medicine
- Bulletproof jackets
- Solar cell
- Paints and inks
- Tennis rackets
- Energy Storage device
- Light Bulb
With constant advances in science and technology, man has been able to discover various materials and substances which help him on the path to technological progress. The scientists has proven to be a boon for numerous industrial sectors.
It’s a single or smallest layer of graphite material. These millions of layers held together by weak intermolecular bonds. The group of two scientists from the Manchester University has separated the much thin layer of graphite and discovered the one-atom layer. They have invented this material in 2004 and received a prestigious Noble price in physics 2010.
PRESENT AND POTENTIAL
The fantastic material has already found use in numerous industrial sectors. It is thought to replace conventional silicon and copper as the conducting material in electronics and electrical equipment.
- Energy Sector – Lightweight and flexible solar cells that can print on even clothing fabric and charge smartphones and devices. Apart from this it is also being increasingly adopted for fuel cells and can replace the conventional Lithium-Ion batteries in use, soon.
- Consumer Electronic Sector – It is set to replace silicon in a transistor, allowing faster computing power without the risk of overheating, at the microscopic level. Embedding in plastic can make it conductive to electricity and allow production of high-frequency, high-power electronic devices. It is finding increasing use in the development of improved touch-screen technology, apart from use in CDs, RF applications, development of flexible electrodes, and for making better capacitors.
- Communications Sector – It is increasingly being tested for use in providing higher internet speed without the risk of overheating communication network equipment.
- Consumer materials Sector – The material is slowly replacing carbon fiber as the material of choice for making aircraft and satellites significantly lighter in weight. Anti-odor techniques can be developed from this material too. When we can produce plastic induced with it, it will make the plastic not only stronger but also stiffer and lighter too. Consumer electronics can see the transparent conductive coating on electronic items, such as touch-screen displays or even on solar cells. Production of numerous products can become more affordable as it can also replace rare and expensive materials, including iridium and platinum, among others.
- Medical and Biotechnology Sector – It will be able to help with prompt and efficient detection and treatment of cancer. It can help to produce artificial blood and help prevent blood shortages in times of crisis.
In the structure, there are three strong bonds and one loosely held electron which ultimately form a pool of electrons. This condition is responsible for the excellent electric conductivity of the material. It conducts electricity better than silicon and copper. The movement of electrons is faster in graphene as compared to the silicon; hence in future very soon the silicon will be replaced in all the form of electronics. It is also a better heat conductor than diamond.
It absorbs less and transmit more light than glass and become a highly optically transparent material. Due to its optical transparency and high conductivity, it will displace the indium tin oxide mainly in computers, smartphone, and many more display applications. Due to its mesh type arrangement and small holes, it also uses as a filter for water purification and desalination. Nowadays it is used for efficient batteries and supercapacitors, which charge faster and restore more energy.
As increasing numbers of consumers and producers realize the excellent properties and benefits, the material is set to witness a boost in demand and widespread industrial application.
According to the BBC’s This: Technologies, Application, and Markets’ report, the value of the global products market was around USD 67 million in 2015, and is set to increase tenfold to around USD 675 million in just five years, by 2020. This is an impressive CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 58.7% over a 5-year period.
We will soon be able to live in a silicon-free world, and shed Moore’s Law about the room temperature quantum phenomenon. There is intense research being done on improving it application in organ transplant techniques, diagnosis, and treatment of cancer and Alzheimer’s, amongst other such severe diseases.
HOW TECHINSTRO WORK?
There are several methods for production like chemical exfoliation, chemical vapor deposition (CVD). We manufacturer and supply Graphene-Nanoplatelets and Graphene-powder, conductive inks, conductive paste and paints, Graphene-oxides and many functionalized materials. We sell these cost-effective products to R & D and many commercial industries on retail as well as bulk level. Since it is used in many diverse applications, hence it is also known as magic or wonder material.
The investment in this wonder material has been increasing. There is also a flagship project to endorsed scientist and industrialist come together for future development. We also encourage many international investors to promote the devices.
Techinstro has been the prominent producers and suppliers for a long time now. We have a global client-base covering the US, UK, parts of Asia, Africa, South America and Australia too, and are recognized as being one of the leading graphene’s manufacturer and supplier in the world.