Overall, the display a unique combination of strength, tenacity, and stiffness, previously unseen in any other material. These also show intrinsic transport and mechanical properties, which indeed makes them one of the essential elements for use in numerous fields and applications. These are the distinct properties of for use in numerous industrial and research applications, including:
- Extremely thin – This is composed of only pure carbon atoms, linked together to form a hexagonal shape with each other. These are extremely thin, only about 1nm – 3nm in diameter, making them around 10,000 times thinner than a human hair.
- Remarkably strong – The carbon atoms for a strong bond with their loose electron, forming an efficient hexagonal shape of carbon molecules.
- Efficient electric conductor – its are capable when it comes to conducting electricity, due to the loose electron in each atom forming the nanocylinder.
- Effective heat conductor – This is also able to adequately conduct heat, thus making them ideal for application in even high-temperature environments.
The Carbon nanotubes (CNTs) are hollow tubes of single-layer graphene (an allotrope of carbon) that possess extremely beneficial nanotechnology properties. Here an sp2-bonded atomic-scale hexagon-like structure results in making the stronger carbon structure. Its structure is similar to that of fullerenes and, when spread out, looks like a honeycomb lattice. The size and shape of the carbon nanotubes alter, which is dependent upon the type of CNTs. Typically, its size varies from 1 nanometer to 100-200 nanometers in diameters, and it can be infinite in length with an average length of 1000 nanometer.
Another name for carbon nanotubes is buckytubes. Researches promise that the buckytubes are more substantial than any materials that exist in the world. At Techinstro, researchers can request to customize the products as per their requirements. There are three ways to produce this product: arc discharge, laser ablation of graphite, and chemical vapor deposition (CVD). We manufacture it by the catalytic chemical vapor deposition (CVD) method. We offer the CNTs powder in 1, 5, 10, 25 grams, or our client’s requirements.
Types of CNTS
Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes (SWCNTs)
These are a product of the synthesis of carbon to form a single cylindrical layer of graphene. It consists of sp2 hybridization of carbon atoms, which form the central part that extends to include a pentagonal or hexagonal shape in the end. Typically, there are three types of SWCNTs, namely, armchair, Chiral and zigzag. The armchair SWCNTs have perfect conductivity, while the zigzag SWCNTs act as semiconductors. It happens because of the structure of the nanotubes. The diameters of the SWCNTs range from 0.4 to 10 nanometers.
Double-Walled Carbon Nanotubes (DWCNTs)
It is a composition of nesting two SWCNTs concentrically. The distance between both the walls varies, thus exhibiting distinct properties. Unlike the SWCNTs, DWCNTs are highly resistant to chemicals. It displays advanced level properties than the SWCNTs and MWCNTs.
Multi-walled Carbon Nanotubes (MWCNTs)
The MWCNTs are an advanced form of CNTs that have nesting of multiple single-walled CNTs. The minimum number of nanotubes is three, and the maximum can reach up to 20 nanotubes. Sometimes, the outer walls of MWCNT have formed from the functional groups of carbon such as carboxylic acids, hydroxides, or amides. An advantage of these Multi-walled CNTs is that their production cost is lesser than the other two types.
• Electrical conductivity: The CNTs have high electrical conductivity. However, this varies considering the types of it. The SWCNTs exhibit better electrical conductivity. When the nanotube’s walls increase from single to double and multiple, the rate of conduction falls. The Multi-walled Carbon Nanotubes are semiconductors.
• Higher resistance to chemicals: The allotrope of sp2-hybridized carbon makes the product highly resistant to chemicals.
• Lightweight and strength: It consists of graphene as its primary compound; it is light in weight. However, the structure makes composite strong, and hence it is one of the most robust materials and can sustain damages from higher physical forces.
• Heat insulation: It showcases higher thermal conductivity, therefore, suitable for instruments or gadgets that tend to heat faster. It acts as great insulators and creates a barrier, which does not let the devices heat up.
• Chemical Applications
It is useful in gas sensors as it is sensitive to gases such as H2 NO2, O2, or NH3, dielectrics. It is also helpful in field-emission displays and photovoltaics. It also acts as unique catalyst supports in chemical processes.
• Fibers and Fabrics
Displaying immense strength helps make bulletproof vests and armors, transmission line cables, stain-resistant fabrics, etc.
• Composite of Structures
It displays excellent mechanical properties such as toughness, strength, and stiffness. It is used in various compositions of various structures such as wind turbines, marine paints, composite polymers, and many more.
It helps make various energy powerhouse, field-effect transistors, batteries, solar cells, reusable batteries, electrical wires, and cables.
• Biomedical Application
Various biomedical processes benefit from this technology, such as Cancer Treatment, Hip Replacement, Gene Therapy, Tissue engineering, Drug Delivery, and many more.
• Aviation and Automobile Applications
It is light in weight; hence, exceptional to make parts of rockets, airplanes, and a vehicle body, tires, handlebars, seats, aero bars, and coating of all types.
How to use it?
As per the properties, it is insoluble in most of the solvents. However, it can be dispersed using a chemical combination of surfactants and emitting ultrasonic vibration. Regardless, this process applies to a small quantity of nanotubes. Below is the dispersion guide that the researcher can follow.
• Take a small quantity of the powder by weighing it.
• Keep a note of the amount of CNT and accordingly mix the solvent and surfactant in proper concentration.
• Mix the solvent and surfactant solution to the dry CNT powder and mix well
• Keeping a note of time, expose it to the ultrasonic bath, or keep an ultrasonic probe in the solution. The resultant would be a combination of suspended bundles of nanotubes
• Perform sonication to separate them.
• For further division, place the bundles in a centrifuge for a long time at high force.
• If the researcher uses a functional group of CNTs, then dispersion can happen without solvent and surfactant.
The carbon nanotubes are hazardous to health. Researchers should take care that they do not expose themselves directly to the product.
• Researchers should always wear safety goggles to protect their eyes from the product. If the product accidentally encounters eyes, rinse it with clean water immediately.
• Do not smell the product. It is lethal if it enters the windpipe. Always use respirators or masks while using the product to avoid any exposer. If the client inhales the product, rush to get fresh air. If the researcher is unconscious by accidental inhalation, perform mouth-to-mouth respiration and rush them to the hospital immediately.
• Do not try to ingest the product. If the researcher accidentally ingests the product, immediately gargle with clean water and rush to get professional help.
• The product can cause unwanted irritation to the skin. Therefore, always use gloves while handling the product and chemicals. If it comes in contact with skin, wash the area using soap and water.
• The product might emit gases while dispersion or while using it for any other chemical process. Therefore, it is advisable to wear PPE kits to protect oneself from hazardous chemical exposure.
• Due to its nanostructure, it may easily penetrate the skin. Hence it is better to avoid direct contact with any part of the body.
• Follow the government’s guidelines to dispose of the products remain.
Why Choose Us?
Techinstro specializes in nanotechnology since 2009 and has a team of professionals who have an expertise of 10+ years. Therefore, we assure that the products we sell are exceptional in quality with affordable and reasonable price. We are prominent manufacturers and suppliers of carbon nanotubes and sell a wide range of them. We sell SWCNTs, DWCNTs, MWCNTs, and the Functionalized carbon nanotubes such as Amine and, Carboxylic (COOH) in powder and dispersed form.